Yarrow Villa, 31 Main Street, Spittal, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1QY
A wonderful opportunity to acquire a substantial early Georgian family home offering spacious accommodation over four floors, elegant and contemporary décor, a beautiful private garden and sea views. This handsome property retains much character and charm including ornate cornicing, fireplaces, timber shutters and sash windows and would make an ideal family residence with a sandy beach nearby and amenities within easy walking distance.
Property Details & Description
Vestibule, Hall, Inner Hall, Sitting-Dining Room, Kitchen-Breakfast Room, Laundry Room/WC.
Landing, Three Double Bedrooms, Family Bathroom.
Landing, Two Double Bedrooms, Study/Bedroom 6, Shower Room/WC.
Cinema Room/Playroom/Wine Cellar, Workshop.
Off Street Parking, Enclosed Rear Walled Garden, Stone Outbuilding, Timber Shed
Berwick Railway Station 1.3 miles, Edinburgh 58 miles, Newcastle-upon-Tyne 62 miles (all distances are approximate).
Yarrow Villa is situated on the historic Main Street in the heart of the coastal village of Spittal, just a short walk from the sandy beaches and promenade. Spittal offers a village shop, pubs and schooling and nearby Tweedmouth and Berwick-upon-Tweed offer further amenities including five national supermarkets, restaurants and bistros, cafés, hotels and pubs and a wide selection of boutiques and shops. The town also has a thriving cultural scene with art galleries, a theatre and cinema, museums, a film and media arts festival and food festival. For those looking for an active lifestyle there is a popular leisure centre with a swimming pool, gyms, a football and rugby club, speedway, many golf courses locally and plenty of water-based sports and activities both on the Tweed and on the coast. Berwick also has wonderful coastal and countryside walks on the doorstep with hiking, rambling and mountain biking being very popular. For schooling there are nursery, primary, middle and high schools that serve the town and private schooling is available at Longridge Towers which is nearby. For those looking to commute, travel and shop, the mainline railway station in the town offers regular services to Edinburgh, Newcastle and London; both Edinburgh and Newcastle are under an hour travel time and London is approximately three hours and twenty minutes. There is also the A1 trunk road which bypasses the town and provides easy access both north and south respectively. Lindisfarne National Nature Reserve, Bamburgh Castle and the ancient Border towns of Coldstream, Kelso and Melrose are also within easy reach. Despite Berwick’s proximity to both Edinburgh and Newcastle, the area has a low population and can therefore offer a quality of life that is becoming increasingly rare.
Yarrow Villa was built in 1707, the first year of George II’s reign and the same year The Act of Union was ratified by Scotland and England. Built with sandstone with later Victorian brick extensions, this fine period house offers generous living accommodation over four floors. The property retains much of its original character and charm with period features including sash and casement windows, ornate cornicing, fireplaces and original doors and floorboards. The current owners have sympathetically refurbished the house over the past few years to include a bespoke kitchen and contemporary family bathroom, along with improvements in insulation and décor. The front door opens into a vestibule with an ornate tiled floor and timber panelling. An inner door opens into a long hallway with a door leading out into the rear garden. The hall has coir matting throughout, timber panelling, hooks for coats and plenty of room for shoes and boots. A further door opens into the main reception hall with access to all ground floor accommodation, the cellar and a staircase leading up to the upper floors. The sitting-dining room is a large and bright reception room with windows to the front of the house. There is a feature fireplace with multi-fuel stove and original exposed timber floorboards. There is a vestibule in the room with an inner door and an external door leading out to the front of the house. The kitchen-breakfast room is to the rear of the house with a window to the side and French doors leading out onto a large terrace in the garden. The kitchen is perfect for entertaining and has a ceramic tiled floor and fitted with a bespoke range of floor and wall mounted units with solid bamboo counter tops. A kitchen island houses a Bosch induction hob and there is an integral Bosch oven and Bosch dishwasher. Completing the ground floor accommodation is a timber panelled laundry room with a window to the rear. The room has a ceramic tiled floor, units with countertop housing a sink and mixer tap and there is a lavatory. Stairs rise from the reception hall to the first-floor landing. There are three generous double bedrooms on this floor, all with fireplaces and sash and casement windows and two with working timber shutters. This floor also affords views over the garden and sea views. Completing the first-floor accommodation is a large contemporary bathroom with a sash and casement window to the rear of the house. The bathroom has a fireplace and a wonderful freestanding bath in the centre of the room. There is a mains shower, floating WC and hand basin and a chrome towel radiator. Stairs rise from the first-floor landing to the second floor landing and there is a Velux window, flooding the space with light. There is a study/bedroom six with a window to the front of the house with a window seat below. This room has a fitted cupboard and fireplace. There is a large double bedroom with a window to the front with window seat and a window to the rear of the house with garden and sea views. A further double bedroom with garden and sea views completes the accommodation along with a shower room/WC serving the second floor. The shower room comprises a shower, WC, hand basin and a wall-mounted chrome towel radiator. The cellar is accessed for the main reception hall with a staircase leading down into a lower hall with a storage area. There is a large room with a window providing natural light and a charming vintage range cooker as a lovely feature. This room would make an ideal playroom, cinema room, studio or wine cellar. Off this large room is a further room currently used as a workshop.
To the front of the house there is off-street parking for several vehicles. To the rear of the house is a delightful private walled garden providing a high degree of privacy. There is a large terrace immediately outside the kitchen, ideal for entertaining and an area of decking further down the garden. The garden is landscaped with areas of lawn and borders full of trees, plants, flowers and shrubs and there is a small pond. There is a stone outbuilding currently used for storage and a timber shed with treehouse above.
For those with the use of Satellite Navigation the postcode for this property is TD15 1QY
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets, blinds, curtains and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
Please be aware, Yarrow Villa is not Listed but is in a conservation area.
Mains water, drainage, electricity and gas.
Energy Efficiency Rating
To be confirmed
Northumberland Council - Telephone: 0345 600 6400
Internet Web Site
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn