Windmill House, Drumcarro, Cupar, Fife, KY15 5TY
Idyllic energy efficient country living with an income generating windmill, magnificent wild organic garden, wonderful views and scope for a self-contained annexe, on Fife’s Pilgrims’ Way close to St Andrews.
Property Details & Description
Kitchen / Living Room, Family Room, Dining Room, Sunroom, 4 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, Utility Room, Second Kitchen / Sitting Room, Rear Porch / Boot Room.
Flexible living space with scope for 1 or 2 bed self-contained annexe for Airbnb or similar.
Beautiful organic gardens and grounds extending to approx. 2 acres.
Large single garage.
Glasshouse and sheds.
Wonderful panoramic views.
Gaia 11kW windmill and photovoltaic panels, together generating an income of circa £13k per annum.
Solar panels for hot water.
Air source electric heating.
Three phase electrical supply.
2 electric car charging points.
Highly convenient for central St Andrews and commutable to Edinburgh.
Windmill House is a gem, very quietly situated in a lovely private elevated position on the south facing lower slopes of Drumcarro Hill adjacent to Fife’s Pilgrims’ Way long-distance walk, just a short distance to the south west of St Andrews. The far reaching southerly and westerly views from the property are simply breath taking. Ancient and historic, the university town of St Andrews offers residents a superb mix of amenities and facilities and is renowned worldwide as the “Home of Golf”. The city of Dundee is some fourteen miles to the north with Edinburgh easily accessible to the south. Fife’s pretty East Neuk is nearby with its picturesque fishing villages such as Anstruther, Pittenweem and Elie, whilst the county market town of Cupar is a short drive to the west. Surrounding Windmill House is some fine countryside and coastline with a lovely mix of farmland, woodland, river and hill ground. The result is home to an array of wildlife and provides an excellent choice for the outdoor enthusiast with walking, cycling, sailing and riding all readily available. There are many highly regarded golf courses in the area including the Old Course at St. Andrews and the Championship Course at Carnoustie, both of which regularly host the British Open – the event returns to St Andrews in 2022 for its 150th anniversary. Iconic courses such at Dumbarnie, Kingsbarns, Crail and Ladybank are also close by, and to name but a few. In terms of days out there are a number of good sandy beaches in the area including those at St. Andrews, Tentsmuir, Kingsbarns and Elie. There are several popular National Trust for Scotland properties nearby including Kellie Castle, Hill of Tarvit and Falkland Palace. State schooling is available locally with the new Madras College school due to open shortly in St Andrews. Independent schooling is provided at St. Leonards in St. Andrews and at the High School of Dundee. There are railway stations in Leuchars, Cupar, Ladybank and Dundee with Edinburgh airport well within reach.
A wildlife lover’s haven, Windmill House offers purchasers a unique opportunity to acquire a substantial detached 4 bedroom energy efficient single story house with exquisite organic garden, spectacular views and income generating windmill and photovoltaic panels. The house is of a most attractive painted stone exterior under a slate roof and was formed from a row of four former farm cottages, believed to date originally from the 1890’s. At the heart of Windmill House is the superb generously proportioned open plan kitchen / sitting room with stove and impressive sunroom off to the west, enjoying magnificent views over the surrounding fields and countryside to The Lomond Hills and beyond. Adjacent to the kitchen is the well-proportioned dining room / music room which in turn leads through to the family room with another wood burner. There are 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, together with a large utility room and rear porch / boot room. The second kitchen / sitting room at the eastern end of the house means that there is significant scope to configure the house flexibly, either as a single 4 bed property or alternatively with 2 /3 beds and a 1 / 2 bed self-contained annexe for Airbnb or similar. The house is double glazed (with the exception of the front porch) and heating is via air source heat pumps.
The enchanting organic wildlife garden at Windmill House extends to approximately 2 acres and includes a wonderful mix of specimen plants, trees and shrubs, along with vegetable garden with three raised beds, fruit bushes, bug hotels, former chicken run , ponds and hedgerows. A network of paths have been cut through the wild meadows to allow access to all areas and levels. Fruit trees and bushes include apple, pear, plum and cherry.
There is a large single garage with adjacent log / bike shed.
There is a Hartley Botanic glasshouse with adjacent cold frames, and two timber sheds requiring refurbishment.
Windmill and Photovoltaic Panels.
There is a Gaia 11kW windmill and photovoltaic panels, currently together generating a total income of circa £13k per annum. Further details are available from the selling agents.
There are also 2 electric car charging points.
General Remarks & Information
Viewing is strictly by appointment with the selling agents Rettie & Co, 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX. Tel: 01334 237700.
The property’s postcode is KY15 5TY.
Fixtures and Fittings
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price.
Entry & Possession Entry and vacant possession will be by mutual agreement and arrangement.
Mains water via private pipes, mains electricity (three phase), private drainage, air source electric heating.
Local Authority Fife Council, Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, Fife KY7 5LT Tel: 0345 155 0000 Website:
Council Tax Band:
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co at 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
The photographs in this brochure date from June 2021
Websites and Social Media
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk. In addition, our social media platforms are facebook.com, RettieTownandCountry, twitter.com, RettieandCo, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Proof and Source of Funds/Anti Money Laundering
Under the HMRC Anti Money Laundering legislation all offers to purchase a property on a cash basis or subject to mortgage require evidence of source of funds. This may include evidence of bank statements/funding source, mortgage or confirmation from a solicitor the purchaser has the funds to conclude the transaction. All individuals involved in the transaction are required to produce proof of identity and proof of address. This is acceptable either as original or certified documents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie & Co, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie & Co, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co. have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.