Oaklea, Broomdykes, Allanton, Duns, Berwickshire, TD11 3LZ
A fine detached modern family home in a stunning rural setting offering a high degree of privacy and grounds extending to over half an acre. Situated in the beautiful rolling Berwickshire countryside not far from the coast, this exemplary country house is offered in turn-key condition with neutral and elegant décor throughout. The property enjoys an idyllic countryside setting but is only a short drive to Berwick-upon-Tweed with a wide range of amenities, schooling and excellent transport links to Edinburgh, Newcastle and London.
Property Details & Description
Entrance Vestibule, Reception Hallway, Drawing Room, Dining Room, Breakfasting Kitchen, Utility Room, Cloakroom/WC.
Galleried Landing, Master Bedroom with Dressing Area and En Suite Bathroom, Guest Bedroom With En-Suite, Three Further Double Bedrooms, Family Bathroom.
Gravel Driveway, Ample Parking, Integral Double Garage, Landscaped Gardens, Circa 0.63 acres (0.255 hectares).
Berwick Railway Station 9 miles, Newcastle upon Tyne 69 miles, Edinburgh 50 miles (all distances are approximate).
Oaklea is set within its own generous private grounds in a small hamlet on the edge of Broomdykes Farm in the heart of the Berwickshire countryside. With beautiful landscapes in every direction, the Scottish Borders is renowned for the lifestyle it offers, including its outdoor activities such as miles of unspoilt country and coastal walks, fishing, shooting, a number of golf courses and so much more. The nearest village is Allanton which offers an excellent public house, whilst nearby Chirnside offers further local amenities including a primary school and shops and the market town of Duns offers further amenities.
To the west are the market towns of Kelso and Coldstream, whilst to the east is England’s most northerly market town, Berwick-upon-Tweed, which offers the widest range of amenities including four national supermarkets, middle and secondary schools, a private school at Longridge Towers, a number of local and national shops, and excellent sports facilities. The region is well connected with the A1 trunk road leading both north and south to Edinburgh and Newcastle respectively, whilst there is also a mainline railway station at Berwick-upon-Tweed which is nine miles away which connects to both cities in circa 45 minutes and London in circa 3.5 hours, making this an excellent commutable region.
Oaklea is an impressive modern detached family home offering generous living accommodation throughout and set within private gardens and grounds extending to circa 0.63 of an acre. The property offers a high degree of privacy for those looking for a tranquil place to call home and enjoys far-reaching countryside views and lovely local walks. The property is approached through double five-bar timber gates and over a gravelled drive leading up to the house. The drive itself offers ample parking for several vehicles and leads up to the integral double garage. The front door is under a covered porch and opens into a vestibule, with an inner door leading through into the reception hall, with a cupboard for coats and shoes and stairs rising to the first floor with cupboard beneath.
The drawing room is a generous formal reception room with a light and airy feel with triple aspect windows to the front, side and rear elevations. Its main focal point is its open fireplace with timber surround and mantle, perfect for cosy winter evenings. The dining room is located towards the rear elevation overlooking the south facing garden and has French doors leading out to it. The breakfasting kitchen provides the heart of this family home and is fitted with a range of modern wall and base cabinets with counters over. There is an electric Rangemaster, one and a half bowl stainless steel sink unit, dishwasher and fridge. There is also a dual aspect with windows to both the rear and side elevations overlooking the garden. The utility room has a door towards the side elevation and is fitted with further base cabinets and there is a cloakroom/WC with built-in storage cupboard and door with access to the integral double garage.
On the first floor the galleried landing provides access to all bedrooms, it has two built-in storage cupboards and access to the loft. The dual aspect master bedroom suite is a generous room with a built-in dressing area with wardrobes and an en suite bathroom, comprising a bath, separate shower, wash basin with vanity unit under and WC. Bedroom Two is also a generous double room with windows to the south with wonderful views over the Cheviot Hills. It has a built-in wardrobe with double door access and an en suite shower room, ideal for guests. Bedroom Three and Bedroom Four are both double rooms, both with fitted wardrobes and views over the rear garden to the south to the Cheviot Hills. Bedroom Five is currently used as a study by the present owners and has a window towards the front elevation overlooking the driveway and has a built-in storage cupboard. Finally, on this floor is the family bathroom with a four-piece suite including a panelled bath, wash basin, WC and bidet, there is a separate shower cubicle and a window towards the side.
Gated access leads on to the driveway which is gravelled and provides ample parking. There is an integral double garage with two up and over doors and a boiler cupboard. The majority of the gardens are laid to lawn and in all extends to circa 0.63 acres (0.255 hectares) with wonderful rural views.
For those with the use of Satellite Navigation the postcode for this property is TD11 3LZ
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets, blinds and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
The property is not listed and nor is it in a conservation area.
Mains electricity, mains water, oil fired central heating.
Private drainage system shared with neighbouring property.
Energy Efficiency Rating
Internet Web Site:
This property and other properties offered by Rettie Berwick LLP can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, and www.tlo.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans:
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie Berwick LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or mis-statement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie Berwick LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie Berwick LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.