Mercat House, 15 Marketgate North, Crail, Anstruther, KY10 3TH
Outstanding East Neuk property.
Impressive C Listed Victorian merchant’s house.
Delightful period accommodation with fabulous main reception rooms.
Wonderful central setting in a highly sought-after village
Beautiful enclosed garden.
Convenient for St Andrews, the Home of Golf, and the Fife coast.
Property Details & Description
Entrance hall and stairs up
Sitting room, living room, dining room, kitchen, stair down to utility room, stair up to bathroom.
3 bedrooms (1 en-suite), family bathroom, hall.
Study / home office with storage, bedroom 4
Delightful enclosed walled garden to rear
Parking is freely available in Marketgate North
Mercat House is a delightful most substantial property in a wonderful central location within the sought after East Neuk conservation village of Crail. The village provides a very good range of shops, services and amenities and from Crail there is easy access to the other villages of the East Neuk, including Anstruther, Cellardyke and Elie. The ancient historic cosmopolitan town of St Andrews is about a 20 minute drive to the north and offers an excellent range of facilities along with the highly regarded university. St Andrews is known worldwide as the “Home of Golf” with the 150th British Open due to visit in 2022. About 18 miles to the north-west is Cupar, Fife’s bustling county market town which also provides a good range of services. Dundee is within a 45 minute drive to the north with Edinburgh about an hour and 20 minutes to the south. Surrounding Crail is an area of outstanding Fife countryside comprising a lovely mix of fertile farmland, woodland, hill, stunning coastline and river. The result is home to an array of wildlife and for the outdoor enthusiast provides an area offering access to a wide range of recreational pursuits including riding, cycling, walking, sailing and golf. There are many highly rated golf courses within easy reach including the renowned courses at Crail itself, Kingsbarns, St Andrews Bay, Elie, Leven, Lundin Links and the numerous fine courses in and around St Andrews. The popular Fife coastal path runs through the village. Shooting and fishing may be taken locally and there are some fine pheasant shoots nearby. Crail is well placed for accessing the various other pretty fishing villages of Fife’s quaint East Neuk whilst in terms of days out the wide open spaces of the Lomond Hills are not far away along with a number of popular National Trust for Scotland properties, notably Kellie Castle, Hill of Tarvit and Falkland Palace. Fife’s beautiful and varied coastline includes several good sandy beaches such as those at Tentsmuir, Kingsbarns, Elie and St Andrews. State schooling is available locally with private schooling being provided at St Leonards in St Andrews. There are railway stations at Cupar, Ladybank, Markinch and Kirkcaldy with Edinburgh airport less than an hour and 20 minutes to the south.
Believed to date from 1869 and originally built as a hotel, Mercat House is a wonderful, beautifully presented period family home comprising the first, second and third floors of the impressive stone building. From the shared entrance hall a private staircase leads up to the superb main open plan reception room offering bright and extremely spacious flexible accommodation with vast windows looking out over the historic Crail Marketgate. Ideal for entertaining and large social gatherings, there is a beautiful ornate open fire at the western sitting room end of the space with a second working fire at the eastern dining area end. Double doors lead through to the main hall / staircase off which is the well-proportioned formal dining room and generous kitchen with glazed doors to the adjacent sheltered raised rear deck. Stairs lead down to the utility room, with a secondary family bathroom also situated between first and second floor levels. At second floor level there are 3 excellent bedrooms, 1 with en-suite facilties, and the lovely high quality modern main family bathroom with free standing bath and separate shower area. The bedrooms to the front have partial sea views. Bedroom 4 is at third floor level along with an excellent study / home office with generous storage adjacent.
Anecdotally it is believed that the Queen Mother may have visited a previous owner and stayed at the property from time to time.
To the rear of the house is a magnificent enclosed high walled garden, well stocked with a lovely mix of plants, trees (including fruit trees) and shrubs, neat lawns and a small former WW2 bomb shelter which is now a covered bar / seating area. Immediately to the rear of the house is a super raised deck offering a lovely space for al fresco dining or just relaxing. From the top of the garden a gate provides access out to the north.
General Remarks & Information
Viewing is strictly by appointment with the selling agents Rettie & Co, 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX. Tel: 01334 237700.
The property’s postcode is KY10 3TH.
Fixtures and Fittings
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price. Certain items may be available to purchase by way of separate negotiation.
Entry & Possession
Entry and vacant possession will be by mutual agreement and arrangement.
Mains water, gas and electricity.
Fife Council, Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, Fife KY7 5LT Tel: 0345 155 0000 Website:
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co at 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
The photographs in this brochure date from September 2021
Websites and Social Media
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk. In addition, our social media platforms are facebook.com, RettieTownandCountry, twitter.com, RettieandCo, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Proof and Source of Funds/Anti Money Laundering
Under the HMRC Anti Money Laundering legislation all offers to purchase a property on a cash basis or subject to mortgage require evidence of source of funds. This may include evidence of bank statements/funding source, mortgage or confirmation from a solicitor the purchaser has the funds to conclude the transaction. All individuals involved in the transaction are required to produce proof of identity and proof of address. This is acceptable either as original or certified documents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie & Co, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie & Co, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co. have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.