104 Castlegate, Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland, TD15 1JX
A beautifully presented ground floor flat with a delightful shared garden and just a short walk from the railway station, the town centre and Coronation Park with lovely riverside walks. This charming period property offers very comfortable living with a contemporary kitchen and bathroom and would make a fantastic holiday lock-up and go or holiday let.
Hall, Sitting Room, Kitchen-Dining Room, Rear Hall, Double Bedroom, Bathroom.
Shared Courtyard Garden with External Access, Shared Outbuilding, Residents Permit Parking.
Berwick Railway Station 0.1 miles, Edinburgh 56 miles, Newcastle upon Tyne 65 miles (all distances are approximate).
As the name suggests, Castlegate was the mediaeval entrance to the town and the Borders for those travelling north through Northumberland and stands near the remains of Berwick Castle. Castlegate now is sought-after residential locale with the railway station on the doorstep with regular services into London and nearby Edinburgh and Newcastle and the town centre being readily accessible on foot, with bars, restaurants and a selection of shops and boutiques.
Coronation Park is nearby for those who enjoy the outside and a path leads down to the River Tweed with delightful riverside walks. A twenty-minute walk from the flat takes you to the town’s beach front with fantastic views of the famous lighthouse and the open sea. Berwick is England’s most northerly town and is located on the east coastline with direct access to miles of unspoilt beaches. It is renowned for its historic Elizabethan walls and it offers a wide range of amenities including local and national shopping facilities, four national supermarkets, schooling for all ages, sports centres and sports facilities.
There are good commuting possibilities with the mainline station which links to both Newcastle and Edinburgh respectively in 45 minutes and also London in 3.5 hours. The area is surrounded by some of England and Scotland’s most beautiful countryside. Beyond the town is a wide range of leisure pursuits including the Northumberland Heritage Coastline, the Cheviot Hills and Scottish Borders. Despite Berwick-upon-Tweed’s proximity to both Edinburgh and Newcastle, the area has a low population and combined with stunning countryside and beautiful coastline, the area offers a quality of life that is becoming increasingly rare and a move to North Northumberland really could be the best move of your life.
This charming period property forms part of a handsome sandstone terrace in the historic Castlegate within Berwick-upon-Tweed. The accommodation is on the ground floor and extends back to a delightful shared courtyard garden with external access through an old coach arch. The front door opens into the hall with a ceramic tiled floor with a generous storage cupboard, fitted with shelving and providing plenty of room for coats, boots and shoes. From the hall a door opens into the sitting room, a generous reception with a sash and casement window to the front and a fireplace, currently covered, with a timber surround and mantle and a stone hearth.
From the sitting room a door leads into the light and bright kitchen-dining room, with a window looking over the courtyard garden and a door leading out to the garden. The kitchen is fitted with floor and wall-mounted country-style units with counters over a black composite sink and drainer with mixer tap. There is a double electric cooker with hob and extractor over, washing machine and a fitted larder cupboard.
A rear hall with loft access leads to a bright double bedroom with a window overlooking the garden and to the large part ceramic-tiled contemporary fitted bathroom, with a window to the side of the property and comprising shower, WC, hand basin and two good-sized storage cupboards. There is also a large wall-mounted vertical radiator and a separate wall-mounted chrome towel radiator.
To the rear of the flat is a pretty courtyard garden, shared with two other properties and accessed via the property or via a shared vennel. The courtyard provides space in which to garden, relax and entertain and has a shared brick outbuilding for storage, an area of lawn and covered area for bin storage beneath the vennel.
For the benefit of those with satellite navigation the property’s postcode is TD15 1JX.
(please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Leasehold is 999 years from 1973. £1 per annum peppercorn rent.
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets and light fittings are included with the sale.
Listing and Conservation
Please be aware, 104 Castlegate is not listed, but lies within a conservation area.
Mains water, drainage, electricity and gas.
Energy Efficiency Rating
Northumberland County Council
Telephone: 01289 330044.
Internet Web Site:
This property and other properties offered by Rettie South LLP can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk zoopla.com, www.primelocation.com, www.s1homes.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans:
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie South LLP, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or mis-statement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie South LLP, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie South LLP have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.